Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Good Life

     As I mentioned before, those 5 stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance) are slippery. I have been sliding back and forth for awhile now. Today finds me happily ensconced in acceptance. I am thinking that ovarian cancer can be a manageable chronic disease. I am thinking that even though I live with cancer, I can still live pretty good.

     For a moment today, traffic came to stop as a little blond chihauhau raced down the middle of the street. I tried to follow him and coax him into my car, but he was too skittish and ran down the road the opposite way. He was FAST and I lost sight of him. I am sad to think of his fate and even sadder to think of his owner. I greeted my own pooch  more enthusiastically upon my return home.

     For a moment today, traffic came to a stop as a frazzled woman tried to restart her older model pickup that had stalled in the intersection. I was preparing to stop and help (how I was going to help I don't know) when the engine roared to life and she drove off. I drove off in my newer model car that has only stalled out when I can't manage the clutch properly.

     For a moment today, traffic came to stop at the red light on the corner of the street where the homeless have set up camp. The city allows them to stay there and has dubbed this area "Tent City". Tent City has a population of several hundred at any given time. The light turned green and I drove to my home, that has a roof and a bed and food in the fridge.

     The evidence is in and it shows that even though I live with cancer, I still live pretty good.  All these things happened on the way home from the fabric store where I wanted to pick up a seam gauge to replace the one I lost. The store was sold out, but as I looked around, I found fabric that I really liked. So I got some yardage. Over $100 worth of yardage. Oh wait, only $80 worth of yardage because $20 was for a bobbin winder. Best thing ever invented. But I digress. The point is that I am able to enjoy a hobby. And I have semi-concrete plans for every inch of those textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment