Friday, January 7, 2011

It's Always Something by Gilda Radner

 I failed to meet my goal of 50 books last year. I am starting anew in 2011. And I'm off and reading.....

This book is about Gilda's struggle with ovarian cancer. It's a subject close to me, ovarian cancer. I should stop reading other cancer patient's stories, but I can't seem to stop myself.  I was starting to get discouraged reading Gilda's account of what was happening to her. Sometimes it seems like the treatments have not progressed in the last 20 years. Each treatment, surgery, test, or side effect  that Gilda had, I have had. I was thinking to myself, "Good God, they couldn't cure this disease 20 years ago with the same stuff and they can't cure it now". Then finally, near the end, my spirits were lifted. Gilda talks about learning to live a full productive life with all the ambiguity that cancer brings to your life. I speak with Gilda now, when I say that the key is to live each day the best way you know how that day. It seems like a simple enough task, but I know how hard it is to remember to live your life. My favorite line is from the next to last page where Gilda writes that some poems don't rhyme. My own poem doesn't rhyme. I'm still learning my poem, day by day.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment