Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Holycrap! Look

I tackled all my pre-op tests today. I have been swept up into the current healthcare system. I now recognize the Holycrap! Look from some healthcare professionals. The Holycrap! Look is an expression of surprise, fear, pity and basic "OMFG! I'm glad it's not me". It's hard to maintain dignity and confidence after receiving one of these glances. I felt my protective cocoon waver and wobble. I took a moment in the ladie's room to breathe. Three times. The pre-admitting clerk gave me the Look when I told her I will be staying for 14 days. The case manger gave me the Look when I verified what procedures will be performed and then again when she verified my age. I am beginning to hate that expression on their faces. It reminds me of my vulnerability.

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl.. that does sound uncomfortable.
    I am thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do NOT let them drag you down. Now applying impenetrable shell to protective cocoon... xoxo

    ReplyDelete