Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hope through Reiki

     My health center, the Institute for Cancer and Center of Hope, offers Reiki sessions at no charge for those in cancer treatment. Reiki is a Japanese spiritual practice of hands-on healing that transfers universal energy, known as chi, through the palms of the practitioner to the body of the patient in the belief that such energy can promote healing and equilibrium. (Don't be distracted by the terminology, which in this case is eastern Buddhist. If you want western Christian terminology, Reiki is where a healer lays his hands on a believer and heals him through the power and spirit of God. Same thing.) I have had 2 sessions and have an appointment  this afternoon for my third.
 
    At the least, my sessions have provided an hour of relaxation and distraction from my disease. At the most, my sessions have given me moments of inspiration, flashes of understanding, where the meaning of the whole is suddenly clear. These moments are fleeting, but unforgettable. My written words will do little justice to the power of the moment, in the same way a photograph cannot wholly convey an experience. I will try, none the less.

    I seek healing. Notice I do not say "cure". Healing is about my body and my spirit. The body and spirit are complexly intertwined and feed each other. Physical pain can damage your spirit and spiritual pain can damage your body. Think about the last time you had a toothache and how grumpy you were because of the pain. It's that simple. Just as I would seek to treat the pain in my body with analgesics, I seek to treat the pain in my spirit, to heal my spirit in order to bring balance into my body (and heal my body) simultaneously. It's simple, but not easy.

     My sessions have helped me realize that I have some anger hiding in there. Anger at being sick, anger at my setback, anger at myself for letting myself slip back. How silly, I am mad at myself for letting me get cancer, again. Now that I can see that, I can acknowledge it and let go of anger's damaging effects. I have been depressed, sulky, ungracious and miserable these past few months. These are all outward expressions of my anger, I am acting out. My belly has been miserable too. I have painful cramping, sudden diarrhea, excess acid, general indigestion. I now chose to let go of my anger. When I notice my angry behavior, I can stop. I can change my focus to my target and find some compassion. My selfish anger can go. I can be done with that and I can heal. I can heal. Imagine that.

    P.S.  Imagining healing restores my hope. I didn't recognize that my hope was lost until this moment. Wow. My heart just might burst open. Um, thanks for listening to my breakthrough.

3 comments:

  1. Pharmgirl, I too find Reki to be a healing experience. I go every week for a reiki treatment. A practioner I used to go to started each session by having me "set an intention". I continue to do this, my intent today was for the reiki treatment to open my energy channels, to remove any blockage of my chi. I feel that my chi can aid my body to be more receptive to my chemotherapy,and will help activate my own immune system. I find that, as I enter into the trance-like state, names of those I worry about pop into my mind and I am comforted and given hope that they too will find peace. And for those who worry that reiki is not congruent to their Christian beliefs, the center I receive treatment at was begun by Ursuline nuns and is housed in the Mother House. Pharmgirl, I am so happy that you are finding the peace that reiki can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry Booher-DerbyJuly 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

    Wow! What an amazing experience for you! I love Reiki and am sooo happy that you are finding it beneficial for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can learn to do Reiki on yourself too!

    ReplyDelete