Friday, July 12, 2013

Get Busy Living

LATEST NEWS: You might remember that I was looking forward to the end of chemo. Well, doctor called on Wednesday night and said he was cancelling my chemo. That was easy! Why now? He emphasized some key points with me. 

1. This cancer cannot be cured. 

2. This cancer has been beaten down. I have had an excellent clinical response to treatment, my scan is good and my CA-125 marker is as low as ever. 

3. Myelodysplasia is bad. You might remember all the delays and house arrests I had during these last cycles. That's because the side effects of chemo are cumulative and pretty much don't go away. My bone marrow is suffering and cannot keep up with the demands for RBCs, WBCs and platelets. Doctor wants to preserve as much function as possible while also giving me options for the future. If my bone marrow is blasted, I will not have the same treatment options in the future. I will need treatment in the future at some point. 

4.  So, if we stop now when I have good response and good test results, I can restore my health and my life and also maintain future options. 

So, Yay! chemo is over for now. I am giddy! So, pardon me while I get busy living. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment