Saturday, April 23, 2011

Another Book about Cancer

Emperor of All Maladies, a Biography of Cancer

I should stop reading books about cancer. I need to think about something else. I am glad that I took the time to read this though. It's an extensive look at the history of research and treatment of all kinds of cancer. The author is a physician who manages to write about scientifically technical material in an easy to understand language. I was fascinated! Who knew about treatment poultices made from crab eyes? Even though I loved this book, I would only recommend it to other uber-geeks like me.




5/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I recently read this one too. I got a little bogged down during the long section about RNA/DNA. I had to go slowly to understand it. Very interesting, especially the parts about clinical trials. Can see why you'd want a break after reading this -- at least for a little while.

    If you're interested in reading A Visit to the Goon Squad, let me know & I'll mail it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation. I still struggle emotionally with reading too many details about cancer, but I'm more ready than ever to get into the nitty gritty.

    I'll check it out. Take care!

    ReplyDelete