Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Addict by Michael Stein

This book is a MUST READ for all pharmcy people. Written by a physician who treats addicts as an inside look into the addict's head. That's what I wanted to get when I picked up this book, an inside look into why an addict does what he/she does. As a pharmacist, I struggle to understand and not judge when I am helping these people. I believe that they have a medical problem that carries severe personal and social burdens. Addicts will often act out at me at the pharmacy counter. It's very hard not a take their outbursts and insults personally. I just say to myself that their disease is talking, not really the patient. If I could just understand their head, then maybe I could help them better. Maybe we could have a positive interaction instead of the inevitable conflict that spirals down into anger for both of us. This book helped me a little with that. Mostly, Stein let me look into his head. I loved this. He had the same doubts. He has some misgivings. Some days, he wonders if he is actually helping his patients at all. He is so honest and forthcoming about addiction from the treatment side. I can personally relate when he says that a good day is when he is moved by a patient, when he is reminded that he is involved. My favorite quote is "I am a great protector of sad memories and I carry my own, which I visit regularly". I think that this shows us that we are not so different, the addicts and the not-addicts. The mystery is in why that addict chooses their path. Stein reminds us that some economists say that substance abuse follows the same economic pattern as basic supply and demand. My question is this, why so some of us choose that market? We may never know an answer exact enough for my scientific brain. Stein reassures me though, that I am not the only healthcare provider who struggles with these questions and just-out-of-grasp answers.




Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading a lot about addiction lately too. I'll check out this book you've recommended. I purchased HBO Films "Addiction." I've watched the first disc and learned some things. After I view the second disc, I'm going to donate it to the library.

    One of the reasons I try not to ride my bike on roads and stick to bike trails separate from road traffic is the incredible number of people who are driving under the influence of drugs (nonprescription & prescription)/(legal or illegal) and/or alcohol. One swerve would be all it could to change everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea to donate used books to the library! I read this one on my Kindle so I don't see how I can donate that. Another point on the side of hardcopy books!

    ReplyDelete