Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Exacta Zen

Counting all day can get tedious. You need ways to keep your mind fresh and focused. I keep tally of the number of times that I pour out exactly the right number of pills in one pour. This has to be a quick unhesitant pour. No shaking the bottle as the pills fall out one by one. Over a decade ago, one of my technicians called these pours "Exactas". The name stuck. I admit that I tally my Exactas most days. I have a strict definiton of Exacta. It only counts if you pour quickly. It only counts if there are pills remaining in the stock bottle after you pour. Unit-of-use packaging doesn't count. I average about 3-4 Exactas in a 10 hour day. It's going to be a good day if I pour an Exacta before 9am. Last week I had 11 in a 10 hour day. That was a great day! Throwing Exactas somehow reassures me that I am in the zone, I am focused and clear and ready. You can't forcefully enter the zone, you have to be loose and let it come to you. If you focus on the zone, it evaporates. It's a meditation of motion and rhythm. It's Zen................
.....then both phonelines ring, consulation is needed, override codes are needed, blah, blah, sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet. I think most jobs have little slam dunks like that.

    ReplyDelete