Monday, February 4, 2013

Fragile

    I am fragile tonight. I walk tough and talk tough and usually am tough, but tonight I am fragile. This is the eve of my meeting with my oncologist. The meeting where he reveals to me the results of my CT scan 11 long days ago. I have filled up those days with chores and errands and lunches and day trips. I have new eyeglasses, pretty funky ones I might add. I have clean teeth and gums. I have current insurance policies. I had some fun times these last 11 days. I saw a favorite songwriter perform live. I traveled to a new place for a day. I spent an afternoon walking by the lake, twice. I did all these things to bolster myself. To provide some kind of framework to hang onto. It worked, mostly. There are cracks. I have cracks.

   This scan is to reveal the size of my nodule. That's the word they said, nodule. I hear, small. I hope small. I can do small. But what if ...... I can't say it. I thought I had a handle on this. I thought that when I had a recurrence of my ovarian cancer, I would be oh-so-sophisticated about it, so cool and composed. I have done this before, after all. I was pretty tough about my chemo treatments before as well. I would check my go-bag for water, book, tissues, crackers, mints, lip balm. I would dress in comfortable clothes but be sure to wear short sleeves to allow IV access. I took extra care to be oh-so-controlled. I would drive to the hospital, park in my usual area, gather my bags, walk down the stairs, across the street, down the hall, greeting all with a smile and a warm hello. I would make my way to the elevator, push the call button and wait. That's when I just knew that all the eyes in the waiting room behind me were looking at me, they knew I had cancer, they knew I was going to get my chemo upstairs. I would look around, smile and say something friendly to those eyes that weren't really looking at me. The elevator would arrive, the doors would slide open with that swoosh sound, and I would take that big big step inside. The tears would fall then. Always in the elevator. Sometimes other places too, especially towards the end, but always in the elevator.

  So tonight I find myself in a figurative elevator, wondering to which floor I will travel. Surgery? Outpatient infusion? I am delicately bonded together by all my activity of these last 11 days. I am preparing for the worst, while hoping for the best. The dread of what my dear oncologist may say to me has my belly in a tight ball of pain. So, please, dear doctor, be gentle with me tomorrow. I am so in control that I might shatter when I hear your words.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck today Kathy! I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did the results say? I apologize for the late question. Praying all is well.......

    ReplyDelete