Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Road Ahead



I like to drive. I like to drive on the roads of wide, open, unpopulated spaces. This is the road to Gerlach, Nevada and the Black Rock Desert. It's a straight shot for about 60 miles. Perfect for the meditative process. Driving this road yesterday reminded me of my life. I can see the road. It's clearly marked. I know where it ends up. I have no fear of the destination. But sometimes I can only see a little bit of the road. It seems to end at the horizon. As I get closer and closer, I recognize a little anxiety about what lies just over the crest, the part of the road I cannot see. I know that the road continues even though it's unseen. I question which way does it go? Does it curve and if it does curve, which way? Will I be able to maintain control? What lies just over the crest? An obstacle that blocks my path? Am I prepared for an obstacle? And then I reach the crest and can see the next stretch of road, my questions are answered and I know that I can navigate without any trouble and I continue down the road. And so on and so on. C'est la vie.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing writer. Life is a big ol' crazy road trip. Periods of boredom, being on cruise control and times when you have to drive through the storm. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why we have to wait until mid-life (those of us who are lucky enough to live this long) to discover that life isn't perfect, a bed of roses, and there will never be a clear path no matter how much we wish for one. We always need to keep in mind there are obstacles though being prepared when we don't know exactly what obstacle we are dealing with is probably too much to hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I knew what I know now
    When I was younger..
    Ooh La La.

    ReplyDelete